Back to Navigation

Osgoode Hall Through the Years

Osgoode Hall is an aggregate of structures constructed over nearly 200 years. On the Law Society's side alone, there have been at least ten major additions since the opening of the original "Lawyers' Hall" in 1832.

Dates of Construction of Osgoode Hall

East wing constructed, site of the present Benchers' Quarters. It originally contains the Benchers' Quarters and accommodation for 9 students in the attic. The basement houses the students' dining hall and household staff quarters.
Architect: John Ewart

Centre range built to provide bed chambers and offices.
Architect: William Warren Baldwin; Builder: John Ritchie

West wing constructed to house the courts; portions eventually converted into library space. New façade to centre range and portico added to east wing. Centre range renovated to house the library and court offices. The central portion of the roof is topped by a dome.
Architect: Henry Bowyer Lane

Centre range rebuilt.  This construction campaign gives us the atrium, library and courts that we know today. The dome is removed.
Architects: Cumberland and Storm

Cast Iron fence is erected.
Architect: W.G. Storm

A wing for the Court of Appeal is built north of the atrium.
Architect: Kivas Tully

First Law School Addition: Convocation Hall. Originally designed as an examination hall, now the Osgoode Hall Restaurant.
Architect: William Storm

Construction of the Chancery Court Wing and extension of the West Wing.
Architect: Kivas Tully

Second Law School Addition: lecture halls, reading room and students' library. Currently the Museum Room, Portrait Room and Barristers' Lounge.
Architect: W. G. Storm

American Room, Great Library. Renovations to the original East Wing.
Architects: Edmund Burke; Burke & Horwood

North and West Wing Additions.
Architect: F.R. Heakes

Third Law School Addition. Currently Law Society offices.
Architects: Saunders and Ryrie

Fourth Law School Addition. Presently North wing or Education Wing.
Architects: Mathers and Haldenby

Filling in of courtyard to create additional office space and a computer room.
Architect: Arthur Heeney

Addition of two and a half floors on top of the 1956-1959 wing to create additional seminar rooms and office space. Currently Law Society offices. Law Society Reception moved to East side of the building.
Architect: Norm McMurrich 

Terms or Concepts Explained